This tutorial will take you through the process of importing your data into Bluestore Live from a spreadsheet. This considerably speeds up the process of setting up your initial business data.
Data can be imported from either a spreadsheet (.xls), comma separated text file (.csv) or xml file (.xml).
The easiest method is to build up your data in a spreadsheet and import it in .xls format, so that is what we will focus on in this tutorial.
We have already discussed exporting data, and that is often a good place to start when checking the format of data required for the import. We have also provided a series of template files which can be used as the basis for your own imports.
Example - Importing New Product Categories
Using the template spreadsheet for product categories (see the list of 'import templates' in the section at the end of this tutorial), we can walk through an example data import process.
Open the file and view the contents.
The columns highlighted in red are to be filled in, the rest of the columns should be left as is. When adding lines to each section, copy the ones from the example so that the data in the non-highlighted columns is preserved.
Checklist of things to remember when preparing your spreadsheet:
- The first line of a section contains '#' followed by the column headings for the data being imported. This line is optional but is there to show the order of the columns which must be preserved.
- The second line contains the type of entity being imported, followed by the version of the data structure.
- The data then follows, line by line. The first column contains the type of data being imported - either INSTANCE or LINK, depending on whether the record is a piece of data in itself or a definition of the link between two entity records.
- The order of importing data is important e.g. to create products, the related category must already exist.
- The 'code' field is the user visible reference for the item and must be entered on the file, even if the entity is set to be automatically numbered.
- Dates should be in the form DD.MM.YYYY
Once the file is created and visually checked for errors, save it somewhere on your local drive ready to be imported to Bluestore Live.
Importing the File
To start the import process, log on to your enterprise web console and navigate to Data Transfer - Import.
Browse for the file on your machine and press 'import'. It is best to keep an import file down to around 1000 items at a time.
If the import is successful, a message will be displayed 'Imported with no errors'. Navigate to the relevant entity maintenance pages to check the new data now exists in your system.
If errors occur with the import, it is most likely that the file is not in the correct format. Check your file carefully against the provided templates.
If the file still will not import correctly then, if it has multiple sections, it is worth splitting it out into a file per section and importing them one at a time. This should narrow down where the problem might be.
If the file still won't import then please create a support ticket, attaching your file, and we can check to see where the problem might be.
Data Import Template Spreadsheets
The template spreadsheet files can be used as a base for your own imports. You can pick and choose which ones you want to use the import function for but any data referenced in the files must already exist in Bluestore Live e.g. to import inventory counts the products must already have been imported or manually entered so they exist on the system.
Product cost prices
You can download the template spreadsheets from our download section.